With a warm welcome and pōwhiri for our new ākonga and whānau, we aim to make all our learners feel comfortable when you begin your studies and training at NorthTec. A pōwhiri or whakatau takes place at each of our campuses, at the beginning of semesters one and two. All are welcome.
Our Te Ara Poutama (Student Support Services) and Student Voice teams provide a wide variety of services to support your physical, intellectual, spiritual, and cultural wellbeing. Our services include health care, counselling, academic advisors, disability advice, tikanga Māori advice and manaakitanga.
Navigators (Ākonga/Learner Champion Advisors) are available to help from pre-enrolment through to completion of your studies at NorthTec. Navigators deliver a tikanga-based model, applying knowledge and understanding of Reo Māori & Māori tikanga in day-to-day practice. Navigators can liaise between ākonga and their tutors, services and systems. Navigators are also familiar with the concerns and complaints process, how to access hardship and government agencies.
Examples of where a Navigator can provide support:
- Overcoming barriers to attending classes – finding your class, finding campus support services, travel issues, accommodation issues and ‘settling’ in issues,
- Complete your first assignment or assessment,
- Can facilitate discussion around withdrawing from your course
- Understanding financial obligations
- Being a friendly person on campus who ‘has your back’ and wants you to succeed
Learners can access support through the Learner Portal.