Moving to study and need to find accommodation?

Finding the right accommodation can take time, so don't leave it too late. Need help? Our Student Support Team can provide assistance in finding suitable accommodation and providing recommendations.


The term ‘flatting’ is used to describe sharing a rental property with other people. Whether you are living with others or looking for a place to live by yourself, rentals provide the biggest range of options.

The cost varies depending on your desired standard of housing, location and the number of students living together. Usually a refundable bond also needs to be paid, and you are responsible for keeping the property reasonably clean and tidy and paying all of your living expenses including electricity, water, internet and food.

Most rental properties are unfurnished, so you will normally need to provide your own furniture and appliances. All rentals come with cooking facilities.

Search Trade Me Property To Rent or Flatmates Wanted.

Tenant vs Flatmate vs Boarder

You are a tenant if you rent a property from a landlord, and the landlord does not live on the same property. There should be a written tenancy agreement signed by both you and your landlord making you legally responsible for the property. Tenants are jointly responsible for all the rent and any damage, not just their own share.

You are a flatmate if you share a house (that is not a boarding house) or apartment with others, contributing to the rent, utilities and chores etc. Flatmates are responsible to each other for their share of the rent and any rights depend on the agreement they have with each other. If your name is on the tenancy agreement then you are also a tenant.

You are a boarder if you rent a room in a boarding house and have a tenancy agreement. A boarding house has (or intends to have) at least 6 tenants at any one time. Each tenant has their own agreement with the landlord to rent a single room, or a sleeping area in a room they share with other tenants. They also share facilities, for example the kitchen and bathroom. This is different to a standard tenancy, where one or more tenants sign the agreement to rent the whole property. Sometimes homeowners may advertise for boarders when they have a spare room, but unless you have a tenancy agreement and there are at least 6 tenants, you are actually flatmates.


Available for International students. Living with a local homestay family is the best way to discover New Zealand, experience the Kiwi way of life and to practice English on a daily basis. We recommend that all international students new to New Zealand or still studying English live in a homestay for the first few months regardless of age.

NorthTec works with a wide range of fully vetted and checked local hosts to match students to a suitable homestay. In a homestay you’ll have your own private fully-furnished bedroom and all meals provided in a warm, supportive environment so you can focus on your studies.

In accordance with The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021, NorthTec provides the following:

  • NZ Police vetting of Homestay hosts
  • Home inspection and interview with hosts
  • Student transfer from Auckland International Airport
  • Student pick-up on arrival in Whangarei
  • Welcome pack to all new homestay students
  • 24/7 emergency contact number
  • On-going monitoring and support for students and hosts

Become a Homestay Host

Please contact us if you are interested in becoming a homestay host.

Short-term Accommodation

Whangārei – Limited accommodation is available for ākonga that live outside Whangārei, but require accommodation for the days they are required to be in classes. All requests for accommodation assistance must be approved by your study pathway.

Contact us
Need more information or have a question? We're here to help.
Get in touch