International students must have medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand


Eligibility for health services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand so if you need medical treatment during your stay, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly-funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health.

Accident insurance

The accident compensation corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website

Medical and travel insurance

Medical and travel insurance is a government requirement and compulsory for all international students to ensure their safety and well-being while studying in New Zealand. International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance that meets the minimum requirements set out by The Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021.

NorthTec will automatically arrange insurance cover for the duration of your enrolment with uni-care, our default provider, to protect you while travelling to or living in New Zealand in case you need medical care or lose or damage personal items. You can find details of the NZ student plan policy, including information on cover of pre-existing medical conditions, on the uni-care website. The amount of the premium will be quoted in your offer of place and enrolment at NorthTec will not be confirmed until it is paid in full. Your insurance certificate, including information on cover and how to claim, will be given to you on your arrival at NorthTec or can be emailed overseas on request.

If you choose to arrange your own insurance cover, you must provide NorthTec with a copy of your insurance certificate and policy summary (translated into English in case of overseas cover) for verification of acceptable cover. For information on minimum cover requirements and a list of NorthTec-approved alternatives contact NorthTec International.

Making an insurance claim

If you become ill and need to see a doctor, you will still need to pay up front for the visit and any treatment or medication required so make sure that you have enough money for emergencies. Once all the expenses associated with the doctor’s visit are paid, the receipts will need to be submitted with your reimbursement claim form.

Insurance claims for the loss of or damage to personal effects will not be reimbursed either without proof of purchase or ownership. The International Team can help you with insurance claims.